[TRLog] POST 6.59 Cabrillo & A-P Sprint

Subject: [TRLog] POST 6.59 Cabrillo & A-P Sprint
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 00:55:00 +0000
VE3IAY added:

> > Seems to omit the CONTEST: parameter.
> >
> > 73, VR2BrettGraham
>
>When a contest is not on the official list in the Cabrillo specification,
>POST doesn't include a CONTEST: line. AP-SPRINT was added to the official
>list fairly recently, I believe, so POST hasn't caught up yet.
>
>There's a much more critical problem with POST's output, though. POST
>doesn't get the QSO: line format right for contests that are not in the
>supported list. Nothing at all appears in the sent exchange, and the
>received exchange has the sent RST in front of it. That is, if our first
>contact was with each other, the QSO: line in my log would look like (as
>tested using version 6.59):
>QSO: 21000 CW 2001-10-21 0001 VE3IAY                   VR2BG         599 599
>1
>when it should look like:
>QSO: 21000 CW 2001-10-21 0001 VE3IAY        599      1 VR2BG         599 1
>
>Fortunately, there is an easy workaround. Copy your LOGCFG.DAT file and your
>LOG.DAT file into a temporary folder or subdirectory, and edit the contest
>name in the LOGCFG.DAT file from AP SPRINT to CQ WPX. Now run POST and
>generate the Cabrillo file. Using a text editor, edit the CONTEST: line in
>this Cabrillo file to change it from CONTEST: CQ-WPX-CW to CONTEST:
>AP-SPRINT and you're done.
>
>This works whenever the exchange in the unsupported contest is the same as
>the exchange in a supported contest. Just lie to POST about the contest name
>and patch things up later. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but this is
>one case where it works.

Wah - there _is_ a difference in the A-P Sprint QSO template... the A-P Sprint
rules say one thing, whilst there's something else on Trey's Cabrillo site.

We'll have to see if the A-P Sprint Committee can sort that out so that Tree
can fix it when he has the chance.  Meanwhile, thanks for the workaround.

73, VR2BrettGraham