[TRLog] speaker output

Subject: [TRLog] speaker output
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:43:29 -0600
On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 05:10:01PM -0500, Gary Weslager wrote:

> I have TR Log installed on two personally owned computers.  One is an old
> Compaq Deskpro which is used with an interface to operate my rig.  Because
> my shack is in the basement and it is cold here in W. Pa., I have loaded TR
> Log on my upstairs computer for purposes of practice only.  Herein is my
> question.  On my basement computer the TR Log audio is heard from the
> computer's audio speaker - the proper place.  On my upstairs computer (a
> Dell) the audio is only present from the internal speaker (hard to hear) and
> not the external speakers.  Is there some command to move the audio from the
> internal to the external speakers?

No.  Your laptop is probably designed without the internal speaker that
most desktops have, and has been hard-wired to route that sort of audio to
the same speakers used by the sound card in your laptop.  TR knows nothing
about sound cards.

One of the best suggestions I've seen regarding this is to add your
own phone jack and volume knob for the internal speaker:

http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u/PC-to-Headphones.html

found at http://www.qth.com/tr/hardware.html.

> This may have been asked before, but on review of previous questions I did
> not see this question.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary K3GW
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog
> Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
> Feature Wishlist:       http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops