[TRLog] TR RTTY - can't transmit message buffers

Subject: [TRLog] TR RTTY - can't transmit message buffers
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 02:07:01 +0000
K4RO continued:

> > Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear - that doesn't stop the
> > PK232 from thinking there is something left in its buffer - it just
> > makes sure that what is in the buffer gets cleared before going
> > into transmit the next time (TC = transmit buffer clear for PK232).
>
>OK, I believe I've got it now.  Essentially, I can just ignore
>the "***Transmit Data Remaining" message, knowing that the buffer
>is being properly cleared before each transmission.  That seems to
>be the case in practice here.

Yes - there is something in the buffer after you finished transmitting,
but by clearing it before the next time you transmit, it isn't a worry.

There may be a more elegant way to deal with it, but this worked for
me during one of those first-few-minutes-of-contest-config-file-fine-tuning
moments.

>Is there a way to have TR send "brag files?"  It seems that
>the F-keys are limited to 70 characters or so.  I suppose
>one could program one line per F-key, but that sounds like
>a rather poor solution.

For the times I've gotten on RTTY with TR in general QSO mode, I must
thank Tree for apparently not including any way to do "brag files".  Nothing
worse than somebody throwing on of those at you in the middle of a run.  ;^)

>As an aside, I just performed the two mods for the PK-232 for
>170 Hz shift alignment and the threshold detector improvement.
>It seems to have really cleaned things up on receive.

Having tried MMRTTY on the sub-rx for S&Ping mults in the recent CQ WW
RTTY, I can now see that the filters in my PK232 are off, but considering it
hasn't been touched for probably 15 years, it's reasonable.  They shouldn't
move much.

I run threshold full clockwise - with eyes on screen & ears listening to
received
signal, I find I can pick out calls & exchanges from poor copy - something not
possible if relying on DCD... not to mention adding an element of operator
to what many consider to be a machine copy only mode.

One last thing - I find setting the PK232's WORDOUT ON & EAS (echo as sent)
ON helps me correct mistakes in <F10> keyboard mode & follow what is
being sent, respectively.

73, VR2BrettGraham