[Trlog] Here's a Good one

Subject: [Trlog] Here's a Good one
From: tavan at tibco.com (Rick Tavan)
Date: Sun Feb 9 21:00:28 2003
I've had similar (not identical) problems when running in a DOS window
under Win 98. For example, if I use a full trmaster.dta, tr freezes up
but if I use an abbreviated version it runs fine. I suspected it's a
memory management problem. But given your symptom, I'd bet on a wild
flying memory access somewhere in the code that makes success dependent
on what happens to be in some particular (but incorrect) memory location
after startup; i.e. a bug. It probably works reliably in DOS only
because that location happens to be benign.

Now I understand that I'm second-guessing the programmer, which is
generally a non-productive exercise. I know; I was one. But the program
isn't supported under Win so we can't complain. No, I have not bitten
the bullet and gone to pure DOS because I really like the font control,
window size control and accessibility of other programs that I get with
Win 98 and a DOS window. So when I find these BS problems, I just tweak
the environment until it starts working or give up on the feature I
can't make work.

Another example - I was getting keyboard freeze. I bracketed the tr
command with commands to load and unload a communications TSR that is
completely irrelevant to my configuration and the keyboard unlocked.
It's just the black magic we have to live with if we want to mess with
Mother Nature.

73,

/Rick N6XI

K5NZ@aol.com wrote:

>I'm connecting 2 radios, using TR in a DOS window with Win 98SE..  Sometimes
>when I start TR it locks up.. I remove the second radio from the
>logcfg.datand it runs fine every time?  Add the second radio back and works
>once then maybe not the next time you start TR.
>
>I restart in DOS only and it runs fine with both radios always?  Any idea why
>running in the DOS window would cause intermitant problems?  Is it better to
>restart in DOS and run TR this way all the time?
>
>mike k5nz

Richard M. Tavan

TIBCO Software Inc.
3307 Hillview Drive