Model 3229 balun kit - instructions?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Model 3229 balun kit - instructions?
From: pepperb@gov.on.ca (Brien Pepperdine)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 23:43:16 -0400 (EDT)
Tried out my acquired 229 tuner tonight and not so great results. Maybe
this is not a good random wire antenna, but with a full size 80 m. dipole
I cannot get very good matching on other bands so far. Maybe I am not
supposed to, in which case its resell tuner time.

However, not given up yet. Looking inside I am not too impressed with the
previous owners attempt at toroid winding. The balanced line balun is
wound very loose in my view, and I think it should NOT be that way.

If anyone has the instructions for the Model 3229 balun kit, I would be
interested in hearing how it was supposed to be wound (ie. # of turns and
so on). I think it might bear rewinding the toroid more tightly - I think
its not so great a coupling to the toroids presently.

I am going to try it out on a single wire tomorrow and see how well it
loads - if better than tonight than I guess it can do a match on various
bands, and I will then be thinking even more seriously about the balun's
state of winding.

( We'll see - if no go then it will be a question of seeing how fast a 9
pound tuner can be sold to all those "need 229" postings I see on
UseNet".).

 Brien
Toronto

pepperb@gov.on.ca