[TenTec] Argosy AGC and Low Power on One Band

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy AGC and Low Power on One Band
From: N4NT@bigfoot.com (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:16:09 -0400
FIRST:  Thanks to the folks at Ten-Tec for ALWAYS being helpful and
friendly! !   Roses to you people in Sevierville.

I have an Argosy Serial 525-00891 and an Argosy II Serial 525-01895.  I
do not yet have the manual for the Argosy.  The AGC on both rigs is
derived from audio, just as it is in all my other Ten-Tec rigs (Triton
544 and Omni-C).  On the Argosy II, it appears from the diagram and from
operation that the AGC sampling point is BEFORE the audio CW filter.
This means that even if a carrier is out of the passband of the narrow
audio CW filter, it will still pump up the AGC.

On my Argosy, such is not the case.  The AGC sampling is done AFTER the
audio CW filter, for when the filter is switched in, signals it
attenuates no longer pump up the AGC.

Has anyone done a fix to get the audio CW filter into the AGC loop in
any Argosy with this problem?

              @@@@@@   @@   @@   @@   @@@@@@

Second question:  Has anyone run across a phenomenon of low output power
(and drive) on just one band (40 meters) when an Argosy II or other
Ten-Tec rig is first turned on?  The power gradually comes up to 50
watts after about 10-15 minutes of use, receiving or transmitting.  When
first turned on, it is not possible to get any indication on the ALC
LED, but by the time the rig is putting out its full power, the ALC
indicator will light.  I wondered if the 40 meter oscillator crystal
might be bad, but always held the probably mistaken belief that
crystals, like light bulbs, were either good or bad.  What do you think?

Regards,  Mike      N4NT@bigfoot.com
     Michael O. Hyder, Esq.
     401 E Holston Ave
     Johnson City  TN  37601-4009