[TenTec] KEYERS, KEYS

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] KEYERS, KEYS
From: w7bwi@juno.com (Loren E. Page)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 10:41:23 -0600
The straight key is mighty hard work for me at around 20 wpm, my normal
operating speed.
For many years I used a Heathkit keyer with a Vibroplex (single) paddle,
then got a Heathkit uMatic keyer and still used the Vibroplex paddle with
it because I had problems sending with the capacity paddles on the uMatic
keyer.
A couple of years ago I got an MFJ keyer mounted on a Bencher. The
Bencher is much more reliable and I like the feel of its action.
I had no problems with the Bencher because of the slight wiping action of
the contact points. Many times with the Vibroplex my sending was fouled
up either by points needing cleaning again, or poor connection throughout
the key paddle somewhere.
Several months ago, I got a used Ten-Tec KR50 keyer with iambic paddles,
which uses electro-magnets instead of spring action. At the same time I
started learning iambic keying. Love it. It's the lazy man's way to send
cw. Never being a person who was in love with hard work, iambic is "my
kettle of fish"! I also do iambic keying now with the Bencher -- it works
great.

At 72, I was afraid I would not be able to learn iambic, but slowly I'm
making fewer and fewer mistakes.

In summation:
Vibroplex is OK if you don't have a Ten-Tec or a Bencher.

Very 73, Loren W7BWI

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]