[TenTec] Quality Assurance at Ten-Tec?????

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Quality Assurance at Ten-Tec?????
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:32:15 -0400
"Engineering oversight" or operator error?

I have owned a Scout 555 since 1992 and have never had one iota of trouble
with it, not even PTO instability.  The QSK, CW note and receiver fidelity
still amazes me.

Regarding your trouble with DC filtering: I fail to see where this is a QC
or QA issue on Ten-Tec's part.  Other 12 volt-powered radios suffer from
stray R.F. and inadequate filtering.  In my opinion, it's up to the owner to
ensure that his power supply is providing the proper regulated and filtered
power to the radio.  Was it a Ten-Tec power supply you were using?
Presently, I use a 35-amp Astron to power all my Ten-Tecs, but in
retrospect, I would have purchased theirs.

How well is the Scout grounded?  As a matter of course, I now run all my
coaxial transmission lines through a long series of type 43 and 77 ferrite
chokes to form a current balun in the shack.  Stray RF, even at the 1500
watt level is simply a thing of the past.  You may be asking too much from
the manufacturer of a $500 radio to include brute-force power filtering.
Also, I have run my modified Scout into an Alpha 77DX running 1500 watts TPO
and never had any abnormalities with the Scout.

-Paul, W9AC