[TenTec] OMNI VI birdies and hash nearly solved

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI birdies and hash nearly solved
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:27:20 -0800
Hello All:

I have come nearly to the conclusion of the 14.204 birdie and
hash from the PLL tuning saga.

I have been in contact with Ten Tec who tells me to fiddle with
the wiring on the logic board (especially the DSP coax cables)
and I have been doing that a bunch.  I have the birdie down
pretty low, but it still comes up somewhat with the hands
near the face or the tuning dial.  Not really noticeable,
except on another receiver, that hears the hash as noise.

Speaking of other receivers, anyone ever compare the OMNI VI
to another quality receiver on very weak signals (SSB) on
20 meters at night (no QRM)?  I find that both my 830 and
my 850 will pull an SSB signal out of the mud where the OMNI VI
won't quite know the signal is there.  It is only noticeable
right at the noise floor.  I suspect that the TS 850 is
more sensitive overall than the OMNI VI, just didn't suspect
the 830 was, too.  I believe the OMNI will excell with QRM
nearby, but it is a little disappointing  at the noise floor.

My OMNI came back from the option 3 upgrade just a few months
ago so I don't think it is out of alignment.  Curious, anyone
else observe this?

Clark
WA3JPG