[TenTec] Re: [Kachina] CW on Kachina, QSK quality, waveshaping

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Kachina] CW on Kachina, QSK quality, waveshaping
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:56:42 -0500
I'll take the initiative and be quite fussy.

Like you, I've become nearly addicted to Ten-Tec's CW QSK.  After spending
nearly the entire month of June optimizing my Omni Six's QSK, achieving that
kind of QSK in a transceiver that must be capable of consistent performance
when using frequency offsets and wide frequency splits (due to synthesizer
settling time) is nothing short of a miracle.

Quite honestly, Kachina's QSK is about the same as most other common
transceivers.  Receive audio can be heard between characters, but NOT
between elements (dits and dahs).  Also, the T/R relay can be quite noisy
and obnoxious.

However, the digital CW waveshape adjustment capability is truly excellent.
As the adjustment is made, the rise and fall time is symmetrical.

I know what you mean concerning the slight "bell-like" attribute of some CW
waveshapes.  Two callsigns come to mind: Paul, K4CA once used a QSK-modified
Drake C-Line until two years ago that sounded like no other.  I always
wanted to view the waveform on a scope but never had access to one.  Another
similar sounding station is K4JG.  I have no idea what he's using, but he
can be found on the lower segment of 40-meters on the weekends.

Does anyone know what the waveform looks like to create the distinctive
"bell-like" note?  I suspect the fall time literally "rings," much the same
as a square wave behaves when being passed through an inductance.

-Paul, W9AC