[TenTec] Omni-A not powered up for 7 years...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-A not powered up for 7 years...
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:09:59 -0500 (EST)
It does seem like you are expecting a lot from a 20+ year old rig Rufus.
Just plug it in. If it doesn't work, send it to TenTec. No doubt the
grease in the pto is totally dried up anyway and tuning will be difficult.
I would question the wisdom of spending megabucks on it though. A rig on a
boat for 20 years is really not the best enviromnet.

N4LQ Steve

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Rufus Laggren wrote:

> The boat I bought last year "came with" an Omni-A.  I have only recently
> been able to take time to look at this radio.  It's been 20 years since
> I was on the air or breadboarding, but as I recall, some parts,
> particularly electrolytics, can die when not used over long periods of
> time.
>
> I would be most interested in suggestions on how to approach initial
> power-up.  The rig runs on direct 12volt DC from a battery.  The
> original owners manual may be available, but no service manuals, and no
> bench or instrumentation beyond a DVM, and possibly a logic probe (if I
> can find it<g>).  I will probably be contacting TenTec, also.
>
> I would also be interested in references to any tech services - if the
> rig appears to want to work, I will need somebody to "spec" it fully.  I
> don't have the time or equipment to do any of that right now.  I am in
> the San Francisco Bay Area, and when I approached a counterman at HRO
> last weekend about this service question, I received very disappointing
>
> TIA.  Rufus
>
> --

Steve Ellington N4LQ
N4LQ@IGLOU.COM