[TenTec] serial interface to Omni V

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] serial interface to Omni V
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:34:16 -0000 (GMT)
The port certainly works - I use it every day in conjunction with a
logging programme. I am a beta tester for the HYPERLOG PROFESSIONAL
programme which at least in part supports the Omni-V odd-ball
interface, which apparently has no handshaking and is therefore
somewhat awkward to control. See below.

I read the Omni-V frequency/mode into the log; I do not attempt to
do anything more sophisticated. I believe the same code is in the
regular, current HYPERLOG v 4.0, but I use that programme strictly for
backup purposes. I do not use it "live" at present. I'll have to give
it a whirl the next time the beta test version is shut down for an
upgrade (I run it 24 hours a day hooked to the local DXCluster).

This port problem has been addressed previously; I spoke with the TT
programmer a couple of years ago  and got additional info from him,
but the bottom line is that the interface is incompatible with more
recent radios, including TT. And because its no longer made, its very
unlikely that anyone will spend serious time writing special software
for it. I wish they would - and if I can get hold of an evaluation
copy of DXbase I'll be interested to see how well that copes with the
Omni-V. Most programmes including HYPERLOG handle later radio
interfaces very well indeed, of course.

I did locate a shareware control programme that mimics the front panel
display of the Omni-V. But the version I got was far from crashproof
and it took over the PC, so I gave up on it. The basic problem is
that if you cannot use hardware/software handshaking to remotely
control the port, its impossible to be sure what its doing unless
your programme spends a lot of its time monitoring the port output. A
full logging package has other things to do - and other radios to
support, as well as TNC's, rotators etc.

I use a three wire interface, as per the manual. TXD, RXD and frame
ground from the standard PC serial port (I use COM 4) go to the
Omni-V RXD, TXD and frame ground terminals, respectively (I'm pretty
sure TXD and RXD are swapped in a standard null modem configuration,
but without finding the manual I cannot be certain). Note that there
is no other connection; the interface runs free.

Not much help I'm afraid    John G3JAG

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk