[TenTec] RE: OMNI VI Connector 52

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: OMNI VI Connector 52
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 07:14:02 -0500
Given the benefit of clickless T/R switching and the fact that most ops
who have tried this mod since I introduced it last year prefer to
control their side tone with the AF control, it should at least be given
a try.  Many who don't notice the clicks before the mod, notice the
absence of them AFTER they try the mod.  In those tough instances where
the clicks and thumps remain, I have reposted a set of fairly invasive
instructions on how I made my Omni's clicks and thumps disappear,
regardless of any power or AF control setting.

The root-cause of the subject matter is a highly click-prone CMOS 4066
quad bilateral switch in the AF circuitry.  In order to completely
eliminate the clicks, the circuit must be buffered at the input and
output with FETs or precise R/C component matching, adding considerable
circuitry and cost.  Ask any broadcast engineer about the trail of
correspondence generated over the use of this chip (and its predecessor:
the 4016) in high-end audio mixers in BM/E, Broadcast Engineering, and
Radio World magazines over the course of the last two decades.

Some additional notes on the subject matter from the Ten-Tec archives
appear below: