[TenTec] Customer Service

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Customer Service
From: n0sbm@moonworks.com (Alan Bryant)
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 08:49:05 -0600
>Greetings Ten-Tecers:
>
>We know that Ten-Tec has good customer service.  Ten-Tec realizes the
>value of customer service.

I may have posted this to the list before, so forgive the repetition if I did.

I'm frankly amazed at Ten-Tec. Let's see:  1) They still answer questions
about their 20 year old rigs.  2) They still offer repair services for
their 20 year old rigs.  3) They still offer parts, including manuals, for
their 20 year old rigs.  4) They're still in business to do these things
(that's important).  4) They seem to be an extraordinarily nice bunch of
people.  5) Based on what I've seen here, it seems relatively easy to sell
used Ten-Tec equipment.  6) Of course, they're still making terrific new
gear today.

Now, let's contrast that with my recent ICOM experience. I called them for
service on my IC-701 (it needs an overall alignment). Their response?
"Well, uh, we don't really provide service for those anymore. We just don't
have any technicians on-staff these days who have any experience with
those... They're what, 20 years old now or so?"  Uh, yeah.

I've also had online ads placed everywhere I can find advertising the ICOM
for sale, and haven't had a single nibble. I'm giving up (my mom is working
on getting her ham license and she wants it).

ICOM makes good gear, and I'm not really trying to slam them. But customer
service above and beyond what they'd have to do, coupled with a good
product, is the truly winning combination...

73, Alan

---
Alan Bryant, WDØEVX (Formerly NØSBM)
Denver, Colorado