[TenTec] Pegasus once again!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus once again!!
From: Tim Cook" <timcook@erinet.com (Tim Cook)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 22:50:45 -0500
Hi,
In the process of  experimenting with the Pegasus software, I noticed a
couple of things it did or didn't do that I have questions on.

1. It has several tuning steps, and at first that seemed real nice, but when
experimenting with the software, if I use 10hz tuning steps (which are
common for most Ham transceivers), one turn of the knob results in something
less than 200hz per revolution!  In order to get a comfortable 5khz or 10khz
per revolution (again like most modern transceivers) I must set the tuning
step to 100hz (2 khz per rev) or 500hz (10khz per rev) . This appears to me
to be a problem in tuning the bands. If I set it to 100/500hz, The tuning
will be unacceptable for normal listening. and If I set it to 10hz, it would
take forever to tune around a band.  I know I must be missing something ,
surely it can't operate like this and get the rave reviews it's getting.

2.  The other thing I noticed was the "band switch" , The button right below
the main tuning knob. One thing in the past few years that all manufactures
promoted was "band stacking registers" or something to that affect. Anyhow I
at first thought it was remembering the last freq tuned to on each band, but
that does not appear to be the case. Can someone explain what that function
does (the amateur band button), other than put you someplace within the band
you request.

I know these might seem like questions that can wait until  I actually get a
radio to hook to it, but if the first problem I discussed actually works as
I described it,  I may change my mind about the order I placed last week.
Thanks for any input and help on clarifying my concerns....
73
Tim
Nz8J