[TenTec] Design flaws in the TT 1201 Desk Mic.....

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Design flaws in the TT 1201 Desk Mic.....
From: KF6ZZ@aol.com (KF6ZZ@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:29:37 EDT

<< Have you checked the voltage to the mic from your Corsair 2 ?
I think the 201 manual says that the Corsair-2 is supposed to work fine with
the mic, but it might be worth a simple voltage check anyway. >>

  Yes, the voltage from the Corsair is a good solid 8.5 volts DC. One of the
first things I did when I bought the CII was to jumper the 10k resistor on
the AF board  with a 47 ohm resistor to provide plenty of current at the mic
connector for any external mic I might be using.
And it worked fine with other mics I have here.

    I have had a fair amount of experience designing low-level preamps for
electret mic elements, and have always found that the electret element needs
to be biased with less than  ~ 5 to 6 k  to achieve adequate output. Usually
1~3 k is about right. The 22k bias resistor in the 1201 mic is ten times too
large.

    Another few changes I didn't mention, but oughta be put in as well ---
the top of C1 should be moved to the other side of L1 ( for better  RFI
filtering ); and --- it wouldn't hurt to add a ~ 10 uf cap on the 'M+ red
line'
( input power )  for decoupling  ( just good engineering practice ).