[TenTec] TT 544 questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT 544 questions
From: agtaylor@llnl.gov (agtaylor@llnl.gov)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:51:45 -0800 (PST)
I recently acquired a classic Tentec 544 (Triton IV) and have two
questions regarding it.

First, the tuning knob seems to barely move the freq downband (CCW)
while it seems to be normal upband (CW). Does this mean the PTO
needs a rebuild or is there some adjustment to be made with the
knob mechanism itself?

Second, the drive control seems to be quite sensitive to temperature
or usage of the rig. Once set, it quickly creeps until the ALC
light is VERY fully lit. At QRP power levels, it sneaks from 5W
to 10W or more in a similar way. Is this typical behavior? Does the
drive pot (dual 25k) need to be replaced or fussed with?

I am looking for a matching external VFO, if someone wants to share
the wealth.

73  Allan  K7GT

--

Allan G Taylor