[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Stations

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Stations
From: sdprat@worldnet.att.net (Scott Prather)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:57:13 -0700
This is the method that Collins used to generate CW on the Collins KWM-2.
It also explains why the sidetone frequency of the KWM-2 is so high (1500
Hz).  Typical audio oscillators generate harmonics that are not sufficiently
attenuated to support this method of CW generation, so rather than design an
ultra-low distortion audio oscillator, Collins put the sidetone frequency at
1500 Hz.  This kept the audio oscillator/sidetone second harmonic out of the
filter passband, assuring a clean CW carrier. It was a clever idea, but how
many CW ops want to copy a 1500 Hz tone?

Scott
N7NB