[TenTec] RE: Fuzzy Jupiter note

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Fuzzy Jupiter note
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:39:23 -0800
I assume from the posting that what people are complaining about is NOT the
actual transmitted note, but instead the sidetone that the Jupiter emits so
that the operator can hear his CW. I have worked a few Jupiters on CW and
have found them to have a nice tone -- of course, their tone is at MY
desired offset because that's the way CW works if you zero-beat properly.

The sidetone is most likely fuzzy because it is digitally generated, and is
a square wave approximation of a sine wave.  Since it is not actually
transmitted, but is just an artificial signal to let the ham hear himself,
whether it is slightly raspy or not doesn't affect transmitted signal
quality.  Ergo, the comments about RST are not applicable.

This is probably something that could be fixed in an upgrade (a better
sidetone generating algorithm).  At any rate, I don't see it as a big deal.
Most analog rigs have a sinewave sidetone... but they don't have 34 digital
IF filters, etc.  Which would you rather have?

As an aside, CW ops can take advantage of the various HF digital programs to
help them zero-beat.  CW signals actually look like Morse on the waterfalls
(a vertical string of dots and dashes), and you can tune your rig until the
signal is at your specified sidetone setting... and then you are zero-beat.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2
                  ...waiting _eagerly_ for KPA2!
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net