[TenTec] Omni V CW

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V CW
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:30:27 -0500
Hi all,

What is the CW offset frequency on the Omni V?  My understanding is that it
is fixed at 600 Hz. At least, there is no front panel CW offset adjustment.
Being tone deaf, but trying to learn, I monitor the received signal on a
computer waterfall display and tune to 600 Hz.

Yesterday, I was speaking with Paul at TT service about some repairs
(intermittent keypad buttons) and alignment that may be needed.  He said
that the offset frequency was 700 Hz.  The pitch of the CW sidetone is
adjustable via a pot on the back panel, so that's no indication (as it is
with other rigs).  In the alignment instructions on page 6-57 of the Omni V
manual, it says to adjust C4 for 9.00000 MHz in LSB and to adjust C9 to
9.000600 MHz in CW transmit. To me, this looks like a 600 Hz offset.

>From the TT website, the center frequency of the 219 (250 Hz / 9 MHz) filter
is 750 Hz. To me, this would be more compatible with a 700 (or 750) Hz
offset, since the PBT of the 9 MHz IF is not adjustable.

To attempt alignment of the Omni V myself, I think I can use the frequency
counter in my Elecraft K2 (that's what I used to align the K2), but how do I
get the signal out of the Omni V?

Thanks and 73,
Mark, N8ME