[TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout
From: WA3FIY@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:22:38 -0400
I guess the thread will die when we get tired talking about it.
That's the nice thing about these reflectors.............kind of
market driven!    :-)

Frankly, I enjoy these technical topics, at least I would if they
would be backed up with some verifiable data to make the point
the writer is trying to make.

Since the topic has been extended to rigs other than the VI+, I
thought I would take the liberty to add another to the list.   The
Pegasus.     Wonder how that little puppy fares in the frequency
ACCURACY [as opposed to STABILITY] department?

OK..............here's the data.

Out of box, 14 months old, time base never touched.    1 part per
million low.   I don't think that's too bad for a $900 rig!  Oh
yeah, I can tune it in 1 hz steps too.    I know, this is a sample of
one and other Peg's may be a little worse.   Of course, some are
going to be better too.

Method - Using a PC based audio spectrum analyzer and WWV at
10 Mhz, I first found the PC frequency error by measuring the
500 hz tone in AM.   Got 496 hz.   OK, the PC is 4 hz low out of
500 hz, not so hot but it's all I need to know.   Now, in LSB
mode, I read 487 hz low which is really 9 hz error since the PC is
contributing 4 hz error.    USB reads 505 hz which makes sense.

I  imagine it would not take much to put the thing spot on but I
really don't loose too much sleep over the -1 ppm error.    :-)

So, my conclusion is that TT understands how to make a
transceiver that operates on the correct frequency.   I'm sure
the other manufactures do too.

-73-

-Lee-