[TenTec] cascaded filters was Omni V audio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] cascaded filters was Omni V audio
From: bstephens1@mindspring.com (ROBERT STEPHENS)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 6:1:51 -0500
John

First, tnx very much for a thoughtful detailed response.

I *do want to listen to regional ragchews and local ground wave nets using
a wide  filter but I also want to be able to do semi serious, fairly casual
contesting and listening to weak DX signals . I hope I don't have to own 2
separate radios and dedicate one to contest/DX and one to ragchewing?

I may misunderstand what the possibilities are. You state:

"Remember that the wider fixed 9 MHz filter will allow more strong signals
inside the passband...<snip>...I'd think twice about opening up the
bandpass beyond 2.4 KHz...in fact I wouldn't do it.

John,
I don't want to open up the bandpass *permanently - I want the flexibility
to open up the bandpass for local ragchews when there is little QRM and
then be able to close it back up for contesting. I want to be able to
cascade two 1.8 filters for ssb contesting. I think one 500 Hz filter
cascaded with one 1.8 filter would suit my casual cw operating. I do not
want my 2.8 filter(s) to degrade my 1.8 and 500Hz filters.

For a combination of ssb ragchewing, ssb contesting and casual cw operating
I thought that the following combination of filters would work *without*
degrading the narrow filters.

6.3 MHz:  2.8, 2.4, 1.8
9   MHz:  2.8, 2.4, 500Hz

Would other combinations work better for the objectives I stated? Or am I
misunderstanding something?

I currently have access to a TS 690 with cascaded filters, and would like
to try tuning it according to your directions. I understand most of your
directions but I'm confused by one statement. What do you mean by "tune the
signal so that it lies just within the slope of the filter within either
the upper or lower boundary"? How do I do that? How would it sound?

tnx & 73
Bob KB1CIW