[TenTec] Filters: Ten Tec vs. INRAD

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Filters: Ten Tec vs. INRAD
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:47:31 -1000
Some one wondered about using INRAD filters instead of
the Ten Tec lattice filters.

It has been suggested that Ten Tec's  crystal lattice filters
perform better than the INRAD filters for ultimate  attenuation
(TT filters retain steep skirts continue on down past -40dB).

At the INRAD web site,  curves for the various filters are
shown,  typicals:

http://www.qth.com/inrad/tentec_menu.htm ,

just click on the "Yes" for the filter of interest.

I cannot find curves for the Ten Tec filters.  I was told
that Ten Tec has made a good choice with the lattice filter
design they have used.  The thought:

"Again a good choice on TenTec's part in spite of the push
by some folks to value steep close in skirts over best
rejection past 40 db down."

Decades ago,  I recall learning a bit in school about the deltas
of performance between lattice and ladder filters...info all long
gone,  hi.  Any comments about this idea?  Do the skirts of a
lattice filter remain more steep than those using ladder design?
Are INRAD filters all ladders?  I have had INRAD filters loaded
throughout an Omni VI+ I have now sold on to another.  I thought
they were fb performers.  But perhaps in the coming Orion,  might
the TT lattice filters be a better choice when teamed with the IF
DSP filters?

73,  Jim  KH7M