[TenTec] TENTEC/VIBROPLEX PADDLE

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TENTEC/VIBROPLEX PADDLE
From: Wa4aos@aol.com (Wa4aos@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 14:47:49 2003
You guys had me going,

Vibroplex bought out by MFJ.  THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG ! ! !
Horrible Ten Tec paddle.      WRONG AGAIN ! ! !
Misaligned parts.             SO WHAT ? THE PADDLE IS MADE TO ADJUST !
Deformed parts.               My unit is PERFECT ! ! !
Don't buy it get a Kent...    KENT IS GOOD TOO ! !
Better get the upgrade kit..  NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE ???

Just what I needed to hear after waiting for a number of months to receive my
serial number 156 which is the month and year I was born. The delay was due
to the serial number that I requested and not any Ten TEC or Vibroplex
problem.

I received my unit today and was almost afraid to open the box. I just knew
once I did, I would be on the phone demanding a COMPLETE AND IMMEDIATE REFUND
from Ten Tec.
GUESS WHAT? I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE DELIGHTED ! ! ! I opened the box and
spent 5 minutes adjusting it for the feel I like and here are my comments.

Was it worth wait? YOU BET ! ! !!  It's a beautiful paddle and is here to
stay.
Was Vibroplex bought by MFJ?  HARDLY ! ! ! Get your facts right before making
statements like this ! ! !

Horrible paddle? After adjusting it to my particular liking, the Kent is up
for sale. This paddle has a wonderful feel and perfect action. The best that
I have used to date. Including other Vibroplex paddles and certainly better
than any of the Ten Tec keyer boxes of years gone by. I actually prefer it to
my Kent.

Misaligned parts? Have hams become so appliance oriented that they are
bothered by adjusting a paddle. That's why they come with adjustments.

Deformed parts? ABSOLUTLY NOT ! ! ! This paddle is just stunning !  ! The
chrome is beautiful and looks very deep. GEORGEOUS ! ! !

   I bought a Vibroplex paddle about 13 years ago. This was the top of the
line Presentation paddle with gold plate. This was before the present owners
bought Vibroplex. What a piece of junk that paddle was. The Vibroplex label
was a cheap stick on type with no mounting screws. The chrome was very thin
and pitted out of the box. It felt stiff and had a rough action. I used it
one weekend and it has been sitting on a shelf since.

Don't buy it get a Kent?  My Kent is for sale. I love the Kent and have used
it for years but the action on the new Vibroplex/TenTec unit is as good or
better. Email me if you need a Kent and we will work a deal..

Better get the upgrade kit?  I don't know about this one and I will look into
it but I can't imagine how this could be any better.

 This is how I set up my paddle and try it with yours if you care to.
First, slightly loosen the two screws on the bottom under the vertical bars
that mate against the jewels. Then slightly retighten making sure the lever
arms are a little lose but that there is no slop in them in the vertical
plane. I adjust it until I just hear a slight, ever so soft ping when I
release the paddle. Next, adjust the spacing of contact gap with a Dollar
bill so that the gap is just ever so slightly wider than the bill. If you
like a little more gap, try a business card between the contact points. Next,
adjust the spring tension until the levers just pop back home when released.
Any more spring tension will make the action rough. With the paddle adjusted
this way the action is the best that I have ever experienced in my 32 years
of CW Hamming.
This is an excellent product and unlike some who have made comments on the
reflector, I bought one and have used it.

 I wish those that can't resist putting their remarks on the reflector
without getting the information correct first, would stop and think about
what they are doing. If you don't own it or can't provide useful and accurate
information, good or bad, Please keep your comments to yourself.

I will probably get flamed for saying something positive on this reflector
but I don't mind pulling arrows out of my back.

UPDATE. I just called Stan to order a second unit and they are all SOLD. I am
on a waiting list for a possible cancellation. If you want to have any chance
of getting one, you better call Stan and see if he will put you on a list,
just in case. If you didn't order one, believing some of the recent post, you
just missed out forever. This was a limited edition of 250. Of course in a
few decades they will show up on eBay as the owners start to go to the big
Ham Radio Shack in the sky!!

Thanks and 73,
Glenn WA4AOS