[TenTec] Phones?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Phones?
From: george.skoubis@verizon.net (George Skoubis)
Date: Sun Mar 30 21:57:26 2003
Hi,

  I had a Heil Pro-Micro headset that I didn't like because the ear cups
let way too much ambient noise in. I have two young children and my
shack is in one end of an 8 X 24 sun room next to our living room.  I
have my home office set up in here as well with our kids computer and a
linux server running as well.

  With the kids are playing games, the computers running, the amp fan,
the amp power supply fan and the rig power supply fan running there is
just too much ambient noise to hear weak stations without turning up the
headphone volume to an uncomfortable level.

  My solution was to disassemble the Heil Pro-Micro's, buy a David Clark
headset from Racing Electronics (made for listening to scanners at auto
races) and combine the two into a really quiet headset.

  I put the headphones on and looked in the mirror to determine the
angle that I wanted the mike to be in. Once I figured that out I
dismantled the left earcup, drilled three holes, one for the mic cord,
one for the center pivot (this goes through the earcup and mates with a
screw and washer from the inside to keep the boom in place), and the
third hole aligns with the plastic pin that usually limits the swiveling
action of the boom.

  I then replaced the original headphone cordset with the one from the
Heil headset, soldered the connections and put the headset back
together.

  I tried it this weekend while I worked the WPX contest on and off and
I am really pleased with the results.  I can now keep the headphone
volume low enough that my ears don't ring after listening for a few
hours, I can't hear the phone ring that is 18 inches from my operating
position (they also block out my wife's questions until she walks in and
gets my attention!).

  If you have a quiet shack or if you like to use a "lollipop" mic on a
boom pick up one of the sets mentioned by the others but if you have a
lot of background noise you would like to filter out this seems to be a
good solution...

73,

George / KF9YR