[TenTec] Advantage Orion - Receive Antenna Switching

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Advantage Orion - Receive Antenna Switching
From: tony.kaz@verizon.net (N2TK, Tony)
Date: Thu May 22 18:34:18 2003
Well Billy, here are a few comments in regards to your comments regarding
the IC7800.
First, if you look at the front panel of the 7800 it is easy to see and
change which antennas you are using - look right below BW to see which
antenna is selected and look to the upper left software switch selection for
selecting antennas. Although, it looks like the Orion's method may be
better.
Second, one key feature of the 7800 is having the RX in/out for both
receivers out the back. If you aren't using separate receive antennas, you
can leave the jumpers in place. If you want to use receive antennas,
bandpass filters, additional outboard receivers for either receiver or both,
you have an easy way to do this.
I'm not sure how the Orion allows you to add additional items or split out
the receive signal? Maybe someone can comment on that.
Third, you can transmit with either receiver on the 7800. And both receivers
are identical. The second receiver is not the typical lower quality
sub-receiver.

Will be interesting when the Orion has some contest style operating and some
test bench tests done on it. Will probably have to wait till next year to
compare to the 7800.

Tony
N2TK