[TenTec] FCC Letters for "Enhanced SSB"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FCC Letters for "Enhanced SSB"
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Thu May 29 01:22:32 2003
I think that getting better sound out of 2.8 kHz or less is an admirable
goal, and I understand that some hams have taken the time and effort to
determine not only what frequency response will provide that, but what
frequency response their equipment is providing.  Therefore, they are
learning how to stay within the existing bandwidth yet have a much better
sounding signal.  This is information that we all can use.

I think that anyone who wants to run more than 3 kHz on SSB is not utilizing
spectrum in a responsible manner.  There are AM windows in some of the
bands, and this operating is more appropriate there (in AM mode).

All of this is my opinion... but the SSB areas are already pretty crowded
during prime operating time.  Get more quality out of the same bandwidth or
get the same quality out of a narrower bandwidth... but using SSB at a
bandwidth more appropriate for AM is a step BACKWARDS.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1
Alinco DR-605TQ
Icom T90A

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net