[TenTec] field day from hell

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] field day from hell
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 21:15:21 2003
Jerry, K0CQ wrote:

"At that point, why not have the computer copy, then the operator can
take a long siesta and wander back to see how the contest went.  Where's
the OPERATOR SKILL in that? Like a local no code Extra who claims 100
countries on CW but can't copy CW in the real world. Just spent the right
money on computer software and computer controlled radios."
----------
Here's one CW contester (Extra since 1963) that doesn't take a long
siesta during contests because I haven't found any logging software yet
that finds, calls, works and logs the QSO on its own.
==========

"The local logging software produced by ISU students hasn't been nearly
so sophisticated and often takes more time to log than to make the
contact, sometimes two or three times longer to log than to make
contests. I ran much better scores on paper logs in the past."
----------
Sounds like you should try one of the better contest logging programs
like CT or TRlog.  Before computer logging came along, I had to keep
paper logs and dupe sheets for each band during an all-band contest.  No
matter how accurately you kept those dupe sheets, you still spent hours
post-contest checking your logs to weed out the dupes that slipped by.

The first time I used logging software during a contest, I not only
noticed that there was much less fatigue, but QSO rates were up
significantly as well as accuracy.

No longer is my operating desk cluttered up with a pencil and many sheets
of paper during a contest (and I'm a one-finger typist).

73, de Earl, K6SE