[TenTec] Antenna Splitter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Antenna Splitter
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Wed Aug 6 20:00:16 2003
The insertion loss and the isolation between ports on splitters are
interesting points indeed.  Yes, the data is correct IF the source and the
loads are what is required by the splitters.  Thus if one uses a plain old
TV 75 ohm splitter the data is correct in terms of isolation and insertion
loss if the source is 75 ohms and the load is 75 ohms on each port.

Since most receivers are not devices which provide a 50 ohm load via their
inputs, then all bets are off.  Looking into the receiver with an analyzer I
find that most wander between 30 ohms and upwards of nearly 150 ohms,
depending on frequency.  Yes, I know we'd like to think the receiver input
is 50 ohms but most are not.

I say save your money, take the easy way out and use a plain old cheap 75
ohm TV splitter.  After all the mismatch would produce a SWR of  only 1.5:1
You'll have about 1/2 S unit loss (3 to 4 dB)  and some 15 to 25 dB
isolation depending on frequency.  I just did a sweep using a 50 ohm source
and 50 ohm loads from 1.0 MHz to 50 MHz on a $3.00 RS unit that was in my
junk box.

73
Bob, K4TAX