[TenTec] Re: Continuing Orion evaluation/Dragonball

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Continuing Orion evaluation/Dragonball
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon Aug 11 19:53:12 2003
> Would replacing the Dragonball simply be a single PCB
> replacement within the ORION?  Hope so.  I presume the
> Dragonball is off on a board by itself.

No and nope, to answer my own questions.

The Dragonball and DSP processors are all three on
the A7 PCB assembly 81917 within the ORION.  And,
of course,  that is the most difficult board to deal with
of all:  it is the front panel board!  Figures,  since that
is where all the controls are,  hi.  I suspect that if Ten Tec
engineers were to determine that a new A7 design were
to be needed with a more powerful central processor,  to
replace the Dragoball,  then I believe it would have to be
a factory retrofit project (maybe I am wrong,  but from
what I recall from my exploring inside the ORION,  do
not believe I could deal with that front panel PCB!).

That would still be better than continuing to struggle with
a "saturated" Dragonball,  IF that is really the problem.
Guess I would be willing to ante up a bit more cash
if that would be needed to unleash the full anticipated
power of this radio.  This could be an option for the
ORION,  similar to the upgrade options which TT
offered over the years for the Omni VI.  These cost
money,  and either the rig owner or Ten Tec could
perform the mods;  went all the way to Opt. 3,  as
I recall.

If I read the Icom literature, as posted on the Internet
correctly,  they have included yet a fourth processor,
and maybe even another rcvr,  just for the sweep scan
display!  So that certainly kicks that rig's cost up a couple
of notches.  Perhaps Ten Tec engineers should consider
a separate processor just for the sweep;  however,  I am
not that convinced a more powerful/detailed band sweep
display would be that useful to me......note,  I am NOT
a contest person,  hi.  Maybe a big help to contesters.

Anybody know the time line from original Omni VI to
the offering of Opt. 1 upgrade, and so forth to the
offering of the Omni VI+,  with all "built in" options?

73,  Jim  KH7M