[TenTec] Re: Continuing Orion evaluation/Dragonball

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Continuing Orion evaluation/Dragonball
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Mon Aug 11 22:41:18 2003
I have owned both the Icom 756 and 756 Pro (which I sold in anticipation of
the Orion). I found the spectrum display very usable in those radios.

I did use it to scan a large section (the max sweep range was, I think 100
kHz) of a band for activity. For example, last fall there was a special
event commemerating Route 66. There were a dozen or so stations with
different calls operating from various locations on the route. The generally
operated around .266. I would use the spectrum display to look for activity
around .266 and tune each one in to see if it was the special event and one
that I needed.

I also used it with narrow CW filters to see activity beyond what I was
hearing. Using the narrow filter made it easier to copy a single station,
but I could use the spectrum display to help me tune in the next signal
without having to go to a wider filter.

I used to have a Kenwood TS940 with the SM220 with pan adapter. I did not
find that pan adpater display very useful, but I did find the spectrum
display on the 756 very useful.

Mark