[TenTec] Grounding question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Grounding question
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Tue Aug 12 11:33:26 2003
I can't seem to get past the notion that if all the grounds are tied
together, and a lightning bolt comes down and hits one of my antennas, the
charge will come down to the buried strap and follow it to my shack ground,
come up and appear at the chassis lugs at the back panels of all my gear,
arc all over and fry everything I own.  it seems a lot better to let the
charge come down and hit the ground rods at the antenna and stay out there
(everything between the shack and the antenna disconnected).

Rob
K5UJ

<By all means, all grounds should be connected together to prevent a
difference in potential due to a nearby lightning strike.  Failure to do
this is the same thing that kills cows under a tree during a thunderstorm
and radios.  The cause, connections between two ground points of different
potentials.

Be sure that all grounds are bonded together.  Cable, TV, phone, Sat, ham
tower, ham station, AC mains, well pump, and etc.

Send a request by e-mail and I'll be glad to provide a detailed paper that
I've written and presented at the Southeastern VHF conference on Lightning
Protection for the home and ham station.  It is published in the Proceedings
of the 2003 Southeastern VHF Society Conference.

It is also at this link if you wish:
http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/lightning.htm

73
Bob, K4TAX>