[TenTec] Grounding question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Grounding question
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Tue Aug 12 18:23:56 2003
Okay, here's how I size this up after reading all the mail on the subject:

Bonding everything together--This is what you do if you really really know
what you are doing, and have all your Is dotted and Ts crossed.  Since I
don't know what I'm doing, and don't have time to wade through the jargon
you guys are using a lot of which is meaningless to me, and filter out the
wives tales, going this route means calling in the experts and paying some
outfit like Harger to come in, with all their fancy equipment and do a site
study, measure ground conductivity at my place, dig trenches, sink 20 foot
rods, cad-weld everything with nice big copper flashing everywhere 5 feet
deep and then I'd take a direct hit with no probs, except my cheap ham
antenna would vaporize since it's not a $20K commercial job from Andrew.
And Harger would bill me ten thousand bucks (as if I can afford that).  If I
did it all myself, being a ham, I'd probably do it half-a**ed, get something
wrong somewhere, and burn the house down.

Or I could disconnect everything.  Hmmm.

Here's a question--at what height do you really have to start getting
worried about this stuff?  My highest antenna is about 38 feet high (a
vertical) but I have a couple of trees within 100' that are 45 to 60' tall.

Rob
K5UJ