[TenTec] fiberglass poles question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] fiberglass poles question
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:44:45 +0000
The fishing ploles that MFJ and one or two other places sell are okay under the right circumstances. I am using two of the MFJs to hold up the center and one end of a cloud burner dipole and I plan to write an eham review after they have been up for a year or so. I want to see how they hold up through a winter here (they have been up since Memorial Day (end of May this year). I anchor them by driving in to the ground 8 ft. metal fence posts, the kind that are supposed to hold barb wire or chicken screen and are stamped in a u shape (looking down on one from above when it's in the ground). I drive in the fence posts about 2 feet and clamp the poles to them with 3 spaced out hose clamps for each one. the poles are so light weight this is enough to hold them. I am using them because my lot is so small I don't want more vertical metal than I have to so as to not cause problems with my vertical metal antennas. the friction that holds each fiberglass mast section is enough--no added clamping needed. they flex a lot without breaking but you will feel like you are using a wet noodle to hold up your wire when you use them--they bend and blow around a lot in the wind. OTOH that's better than the wire snapping in two and they always return to static position. The top 2 or 3 three foot sections are not useable because they are so thin they won't holed any weight. I had to clamp my center insulator down about 6' from the top so it's only 27' up. I am using a flattop so the wire, 88' of no. 14 stranded is going out horizontally & helps hold the pole which is really just there to hold the wire away from my house (aluminum siding) and hold the feedline. the feedline is 600 ohm open wire so I just have a porcelain dogbone up at the feedpoint. the fiberglass means I don't need to stand off the feed. one end of the flattop (center fed) is held by a tree (my one tree I can use) the other end is held by another MFJ pole. this had to be guyed in 3 places to keep it from bending over too much from the wire tension. Also the dacron coming from the ant. insulator is attached to the pole 3 sections down from the top (9') and the bottom of the pole is boosted up 3' in the fence post to compensate and get the end up to 27' (the mfj poles are 33' long).

you could get more height by putting in say 20' of metal and topping that off with the fishing pole if you don't mind the 20' of metal pipe. now you would be into probably digging a deeper hole and maybe setting the pipe in concrete and taking the pole down would be harder. I just undo the hose clamps and down she comes when I want to do ant. work. Forget about collapsing the mast sections. when you extend them and really pull them tight and they stay that way for a week or more, then they are set and they aren't collapsing (at least I did not have the strength to collapse them :)

This guy below sells heavy duty fiberglass--I have not tried his poles yet but I plan to when I extend my dipole to make a horiz. loop:

K4TMC
Henry Pollock
P.O. Box 1932
Raleigh, NC 27602-1932
k4tmc@aol.com

he had ads in QST for fiberglass poles. you might write him and ask about his poles.

hope this helps & 73,
Rob
K5UJ