RE: [TenTec] N4py software

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] N4py software
From: "John T. Fleming" <W3GQJ@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:48:59 -0500
Mike,

Go to N9VV's web site and look for audio server and audio client links.  He
also has a remote desktop program link.  I am Windows XP Professional.  That
has remote desktop built into it.  I must start the audio server program on
the ham shack machine before I go to the remote machine.  I feed the audio
out from the accessory connector to the sound card through a PSK31
isolator/matching circuit.

I then go to the remote PC and start audio client and make sure I hear the
receiver audio.  I then log onto the computer in the ham shack using remote
desktop on the laptop.  After I have control of the remote PC, I run either
N4PY or the Tec-Tec software.  I have only been able to do CW and PSK31 from
the remote computer using my WiFi network.  I have not tried to figure out
how to do SSB since I think I will be getting audio feedback through the
sound card.  I may be able to control that through the setting of "record"
and "playback" in the sound card settings.

If you run the N4PY for the Orion, it does not take away control from the
Orion front panel.  If you manually change the Orion, the software display
also changes.  I want to emphasize this approach to show that you can
monitor the bands and if you hear something you really want, you can run to
the shack and start operating the radio to work the station.  You don't have
to worry about getting local control of the computer in the ham shack which
is being controlled remotely.  If I remember Carl's software from trying it,
there is also a scan function built into it which will cycle through a list
of stored frequencies.

I am not sure how the remote program that is freeware works since I already
have XP Pro and have never tried the other route.

Ken's web site is www.n9vv.com.

If it were still summer time, you could sit on the front porch swing and
still monitor the bands.

Good luck and 73,
John, W3GQJ