[TenTec] Re: Orion and phase noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion and phase noise
From: "Tracy, Michael, KC1SX" <mtracy@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:43:11 -0500
Hi John (and other TT group readers),

> ... So going by this reasoning, the engineers at
> Ten-Tec have set a new very high bar on transmitted signal
> junk while the RECEIVER phase noise of the Orion must be
> below the ability of any lab to measure . . . (?)

Just a quick note amidst working on the Orion expanded report
(it will be ready early next week).  Receiver phase noise can
be measured fairly simply in most transceivers by using a
very clean crystal oscillator and a step attenuator.  It is
more time consuming than testing transmit composite noise,
but I did it for the Orion anyway, and will include a plot in
the report.

73, Michael Tracy, KC1SX, ARRL Lab

PS - A request to other digest readers - please take time to
trim the excess off your replies (there has been a lot of
unnecessary quoting recently).