Re: [TenTec] Orion Aux Audio Outputs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Aux Audio Outputs
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:45:27 EST
Grant

You got it right.

To explain it better to everyone else:

Under the Audio button it is possible to have either the main or sub receiver
or both go into the left ear and the main or sub or both go into the right
ear, or any combination thereof.  Working split I put both in the left ear and
the sub in the right ear so I can hear both sides of the conversation as I tune
around on the sub receiver to find where the DX is listening.

When I am not working split I just turn down the volume on the sub receiver
and I no longer hear it at all in the headphones.  Thus, I forget about it.

So, now I switch over to PSK.  If you leave the left side set to play both
receivers and both receivers are not tuned to exactly the same frequency and
mode, you get two different signals coming on the left side.  What fools you is
that listening in the earphones you don't hear the sub receiver because you
have the volume turned all the way down.  But the back left output pin is line
out and not effected by the volume control.  The audio from both the main and
the sub receiver is going full blast out that pin and into your computer --
hence the second signal appearing on the waterfall.

In my case, the main receiver was on USB and the sub receiver was on UCW so
the two signals were 500 hz apart and I saw both of them on the waterfall.

It is really not an Orion defect, it is the operator not paying attention.

Radio k4ia
Craig "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA