Re: [TenTec] OMNI C used as IF for VHF Transverters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI C used as IF for VHF Transverters
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:34:11 -0800 (PST)
> nice combination. Over the past year, I've had that
> set-up next to other 50 & 144 mhz rigs (ic-756 &
> 746,
> ft-736, ft-625rd & 225rd, ic-271, tr-6) and none
> have
> even come close on weak signal receive. For those of
> you who have interest in doing weak signal work on
> VHF, give this set-up a try.

I went through a similar experience, I started
building my VHF SSB/CW station with an Icom IC-290H
back in 1983. Used that radio for years. I then
upgraded to a pair of IC-820H's to cover 144 & 432 and
a IC-706 on 50 Mhz. I then wanted to add 222 Mhz, so I
bought a DEMI transverter and interfaced it with the
580 Delta that I had. First time out in a VHF contest
with that combo I was completely blown away by how the
signals would "stand out" from the near noiseless
background. I then immediately set out to equip my
station with DEMI transverters for the other 3 bands.

And at about that same time I added a Pegasus to the
shack, it too has a very quiet RX, especially its
RF/IF chain. The 580 and Corsairs that I have also
used as transverter IF radios do have quieter LO's
though. However the Corsairs are not as quiet in the
RF/IF and audio chain as the Pegasus is. Additionally
the Pegasus radios are also much easier for me to use
for maneuvering around the bands very quickly. They
also give me a way to have a continuous situational
awareness of where all the signals are by virtue of
the spectrum sweep. So a spectrum sweep of some kind
is something that I can no longer live without,
especially so on the 50 & 144 Mhz bands.

Bottom line for me is that the all bands, with all
modes, in one box radios have no place here in my
shack.

Duane
N9DG