[TenTec] Omni 6 rx inrad audio mod

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6 rx inrad audio mod
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:21:55 +0000
My impression is that to really get the most out of the mod you need
to put in the inrad 2.8 khz filters.  I think with those you roll off on the
low end at around 120 hz; on the top around 2.9 khz.
You have to understand that the Omni was not really engineered
to be a, shall we say, full audio rig.  It is all analog except for the
dsp noise reduction and it was designed to be more of a dx/
contest rig.  Also ~14 years ago the standard SSB bw was at
most 2.4 khz.
If you want to get the highs and full rich lows of
stations transmitting audio from say, 50 hz up to 3 or 3.2 khz
you have to find something newer like a Jupiter perhaps, or a
TS870 or an older TS850 with the 6 khz filters in.  With the Omni,
you will pretty much hear mid-range and it can be kind of
underwhelming.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ