[TenTec] CW Proficiency, Contesting, etc.

To: <ke4vpn@carolina.rr.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>>
Subject: [TenTec] CW Proficiency, Contesting, etc.
From: "Tony Martin W4FOA" <w4foa@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:19:20 -0500
Hi Ronnie,
This is NOT the answer you are looking for.  Please take this as an attempt to
help, and not a condescending attitude.

What you want to do is commendable!  However, there is not a quick and easy way
to get where you want to go, it is as simple as that.

The ONLY way you will become proficient in CW and Contesting is through
practice....there is no other way, period.  As for a place to ragchew, I
suggest 40 meters CW from 7040 up to 7060 or so....you will find QRP'ers and
FISTS members, most of whom are more than willing to slow down or speed up as
you wish.  Throw away your pencil and paper, except to make one or two word
notes to tickle your memory when you are responding to the station you are
QSO'ing. If you are trying to write down everything you are hearing (copying
letter for letter), you are headed for major disappointment....head copying is
the ONLY way.

As for contesting....I suggest you find a club and participate in this upcoming
Field Day.....hopefully the club will have a GOTA (Get On The Air) station,
exactly what you are looking for and need to begin contesting.  Field Day is a
wonderful place to learn contest exchanges, logging, etc.....you can find slow
as well as VERY fast stations....suggest any contest you participate in for the
near future, you use the "S&P" (search and pounce) method....that is, you do
not call CQ contest, but rather you reply to others only.  To boost your
confidence, I suggest before you call a station, you already have his info down
on a piece of paper and as he sends a reply to you, you simply confirm what you
have written down.  Try to participate in as many contests as your schedule
will permit...even if you make only a half dozen contests QSOs, you will begin
to build up your confidence.  At this point, QUALITY is far more important than
QUANTITY....the latter will come with practice.  Another suggestion, if you
want to be a successful contester, you CANNOT be timid!  You must be somewhat
aggressive, almost to the point of being rude...many highly successful
contesters are indeed aggressive and rude, hi.

As I said in the first paragraph, I know this is not what you want to hear but
trust me, there are no shortcuts to achieving what you wish to achieve.
Patience, perseverance, dedication, concentration, determination, and last but
not least, practice will get you where you want to go....not this month, not
this year and maybe not even next year BUT you will get there!

My 2 cents. Others may agree or disagree, but I am sure all responses are
intended to be encouraging and helpful.

Good luck Ronnie...and if I hear you on the bands I will certainly give you a
call.

73
Tony, W4FOA
Chickamauga, GA