[TenTec] BC RFI, and fans (was Orion cooling)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] BC RFI, and fans (was Orion cooling)
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 03:29:20 +0000
I've experienced the same thing here with my loop. I'm 10 to 15 miles away from three clear (in name only these days) channel 50 kw broadcast station transmitter sites, all omni-directional with 1/2 wave towers, on 670, 720 and 780 KHz. When the open wire feed transmatch isn't tuned, my rig (a Kenwood) gets broad garbage big time on 75 meters from the station on 780 KHz. With the transmatch tuned for wherever I'm at on 75 the problem goes away for my purposes (ragchewing). It would still be a problem if I were attempting weak signal work, but in my opinion, that's why God invented 10 to 17 meters. BTW, no probs at all on the Omni VI. Great front end.

Fans: At a local drug store, the kind that sells all kinds of stuff in addition to drugs, I found the Cool Breeze fan, made by Collins International Co. Ltd., of Fair Lawn, NJ, item no. EB24303. (No relation to the radio company Collins.) This is a little 3" wide fan that runs off a regular 115 v. ac line, with a rotary switch in the line, is quiet, runs all day and comes mounted on a little stand with rubber feet so it won't walk around. They were around $4 each. I aim mine at various heat sinks when I'm ragchewing simplex on 2 m FM, or operating cw on HF. SSB doesn't seem to heat anything up enough to need one. Anyway, each one was about 1/4 the cost of a new muffin fan but you wouldn't want to try mounting one of these inside something--too dangerous--strictly for separate outside cabinet cooling.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ