RE: [TenTec] TT 6n2 Rig reviews?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] TT 6n2 Rig reviews?
From: "Cliff KD4GT" <kd4gt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 23:09:37 -0400
> I'm figuring I might be able to sell the IC-275H
> plus power supply and mast preamp for around
> what the 6n2 costs.  So, I might break even but
> gain an extra band.  (1 have a 2m brick, so the
> power won't be a problem.)

Keep the tower mounted pre-amp. My own feeling is that the 2m side lacks a
bit on the Rx and, of course, you'll want the brick or some help from Eimac
on the Tx end of life. It is a good rig (I wouldn't say really great but
very good) for a combo 6&2. Some folks in eastern Tennessee thought it was
going to sell to the FM repeater crowd but it certainly missed that target.
Much of the design was made with the DEMI kits in mind so it can be a good
little IF rig also. Just remember that darn switch on the back when your
station doesn't talk back to you. (yes, the voice of a frustrating
experience) The biggest problem I've seen was firm-ware lock-up.
For a unique accessory to the 526, check out the "No-Bandswitch, Dual-Band
VHF Desktop Amplifier" by Paul Hewitt, WD7S, in the Jul 2000 QEX

73 de KD4GT