[TenTec] re Orion popping

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re Orion popping
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:54:30 +0000
I hope this will help: on my omni vi, there used to be a spike on SSB tx when I'd hit the PTT switch, and a tiny one on release. it was probably there on vox too, but more hidden since the tx is voice actuated so the rig is immeditately (in human time frame) putting out a voice sideband. I could really see it by simply keying the rig and not saying anything, or disconnecting the mic entirely, and looking at the f.p. watt meter and the one in-line. it looked like it was spiking up to around 75 w. and 15 w. on release. it was okay to some extent only because I was driving a cathode driven amp but I wanted it fixed just the same in case I would someday drive a screen driven amp, and amp or no amp, it was undesirable. anyway, it turned out to be a matter of touching up the bal. mod. pots r3 and r4 to get into the carrier null a bit better. the spikes were caused by the null not kicking in right away. don't know why there was one on release of the PTT sw.

Rob Atkinson/K5UJ