Re: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:15:42 -0000
Well I'm really no expert and I think Ten Tec's basis for the decision to
deploy roofing filters when DSP b/w is at 75% of roofing b/w would be better
explained by them.

Having said that, I offer the following observation:

Roofing filters are not intended to contribute anything to the definition of
overall system b/w.  They are intended to avoid overload of those RX stages
prior to the main b/w determining filters.  If roofing filters are switched
in at DSP b/w = Roofing b/w then they will inevitably contribute to
determining overall system b/w.  A margin is necessary to avoid this.  The
question would appear to be: Does DSP b/w = 75% Roofing b/w provide an
appropriate margin or an unecessarily wide one?

Incidentally, the 1.8kHz roofing filter can be used on SSB.  It can be
manually selected from the menu, not just manually disabled.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F