Re: [TenTec] N4PY Orion Control Program Version 1.12 Released

To: Dudley Hurry <jhurry@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] N4PY Orion Control Program Version 1.12 Released
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:19:45 -0500
I guess I should have read all the mail before asking my question. Thanks, Dudley and Tom, for the tip on the USB ports.

On the other hand, there seem to be conflicting explanations and experiences here: some people don't see the lag while others do, and Carl says that the lag is not port speed dependent, implying that moving to a USB port should not improve matters. In order to minimize the lag problem in my shack, I am using a desense setting of 11 on the remote pod, which helps somewhat. However, if I want to make a large change in frequency, the pod moves too slowly, and I usually wind up using the mouse and Fast A key on the display. Nevertheless, I have a spare USB port and a serial adapter here. I'll try it and see what happens.

As far as my comments regarding the N4PY keyboard are concerned, I should have said that I was using W98 on a 450 MHz machine at the time, and that I was quite unfamiliar with the program and did not spend any time trying to improve the keying. Perhaps if I had worked at it, the problem might have been solved. I should also add that I minimize the number of applications running, even on the 2.2 GHz machine, so that the amount of CPU resources devoted to generating CW, transceiver needs, and other ham software applications are maximized. The only problem I've noted with the DX4WIN keyboard is that if I save the log while it's sending, there might be a slight, one time momentary delay.

73, Joe

Dudley Hurry wrote:

Tom has a good point, since I have been using a USB2.0 serial to USB adapter, the lack has been non-existent. Right now I am running with 6 serial to USB adapters to my 1.8 ghz computer.

73's
Dudley