[TenTec] CAT control of Argonaut II

To: TenTec contesting <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CAT control of Argonaut II
From: Bob Towers <kilcadzow@i12.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:59:26 +0100
Many thanks to:

a) Joe, W2QID, for the tip on how to access and change the TX/RX address

b) to Paul, WD4EBR, at Ten-Tec for the default address (04h) and the
note about the ICom35 command codes.

But I'm still having problems interfacing the PC to the Argonaut II. The
protocols are 1200 8 N 1. There seems to be some
doubt about the connections between the PC COM1 DB9 connector and  the DB25
connector on the Argonaut II. Currently they are:

        DB9                     DB25

        pin 2           to      pin 3
        pin 3           to      pin 2
        pin 5           to      pin 7 (earth)

Which is not what the manual says! The DB9_2 to DB25_2 and DB9_3 to DB25_3
connections don't work at all ie no codes going out from the PC and no acks
back.

I've tried a cable with:

a) no handshaking

b) loopback handshaking (RTS-CTS and DSR-DTR on the DB9)

c) full handshaking (both CTS/RTS and DSR/DTR)

but all I get is an acknowledgement (FDh) back from the Argo II, irrespective
of which control codes I send.

I'm using the 305 interface between the PC and the TX/RX. The PC COM1 port
protocols are 1200 8 N 1. The TX/RX address is set to 04h, the same as the PC
address. I use Ham Radio Deluxe Tester set for either Ten-Tec or ICom 735. This
gives me a listing of all the codes going out from the PC and the codes coming
back from the TX/RX.

Any help would be much appreciated.

73

Bob Towers