[TenTec] radar

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] radar
From: "Dennis O'Connor" <k8do@mailblocks.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:36:05 -0400
1. You were speeding - so that is not in discussion... The discussion is what
should your response be...

2. Do you have any points on your license now?
    a) If the answer is NO, then the best option is to pay the ticket, take the
points...
    b) If the answer is YES 'and' the points from this ticket are going to put
your license in jeopardy, then you need to spend from $3K to $5K for a
competent lawyer... One who specializes in radar issues, not just the first ad
in the yellow pages...
Basically, what he will do is a thorough search of the police department
records to see if the radar gun is calibrated and current, if the officer's
certification to operate the gun is current,  if the tech who certifies the
radar is current on his certificate renewal, that his radio license is current,
 that the department has all the appropriate licenses and has paid the
manufacturer/state/feds the appropriate licensing renewal fees , if ALL of the
radio testing gear at the police shop is in current calibration, and on, and
on, and on, right down to the nuts and bolts drawer... He will also have an
independent expert go to the scene of the ticket and do a radar gun search for
interference, make videos, interview witnesses, etc...
Also he will search the issuing officers record for citizen complaints,
disciplinary actions, the number of radar tickets he issues, his record in
court, his marital status, his credit rating, etc. : he will 'absolutely' go up
this officers butt with a microscope - in public...
Many police departments when hit with this blizzard of subpoenas for their
records, and for depositions of everyone from the officer and the radio tech,
right up to the Chief of Police, will blink, realize that they cannot withstand
a bright light shining in public upon their record keeping and their policies,
and their personal behavior, and will negotiate the ticket or even withdraw it
outright...

Now, someone will jump in me about my motivation, my judgement, my manhood,
that I am a police basher, etc... Let me say that police officers do a dirty
job for peanuts in pay...  I wouldn't get out of bed for what they are paid for
putting their ass on the line every day... If you have never been out in the
street on a dark night, with a target on your chest, err, I mean badge, and if
you have never pulled the limp, bleeding, body of a 6 year old from a car after
a drunk driver t-boned the mothers car, and started doing mouth-to-mouth on
blood and vomit, then don't open your mouth to me about my motivation...

My best advice to you is to pay the ticket - and don't whine...  But, if you
feel you have to contest it, then now you know how...

denny