Re: [TenTec] Jupiter selectivity

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter selectivity
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:27:32 +0000
hi bob,

<<<If it is not up to 375 watts on AM then how does one justify the RTTY an
SSTV limit of 650 watt limit, 50% duty cycle, 10 minute transmission limit?
After all RTTY  and SSTV is a carrier mode with 100% duty cycle.>>>

Rtty is like a continuous dead carrier if FSK is being used. of course there is sideband energy from freq. shifting but not as much as with voice modulated carrier. these modes are 100% d.c. not 50%. you seem to think the duty cycle is 50% if you transmit for 10 minutes and rx for 10 minutes. i guess that's one definition, but usually d.c. refers to the percentage of peak power transmitted averaged over the actual time of transmission (10 minutes), or % of time peak power is transmitted over the time of transmission (if on and off keying such as telegraph code is used).

another problem with AM v. RTTY is that in the case of RTTY, the amp is, or should be, tuned so that it maxes out at 650 w. if that is the power to be used, for the necessary drive. With AM, the amp is tuned for 4 x whatever cxr you are using, if 375 w. then 1.5 kw, but then the amp is run with the 375 w. cxr and two sidebands at an efficiency much lower than the 650 w. RTTY mode. this is why it may be okay to run rtty key down at 650 w. for 10 min. (but i have my doubts about that) but it is not okay to run 375 w. cxr AM if it can be done with this amp, for the same amount of time. in AM the efficiency is maybe 40% -- the heat that has to be thrown off and dissipated is huge and i very much doubt it has the stock cooling to handle the job.

<<<As to your 160M operation, I suggest you look at your tuning very carefully.
My Centurion is a 1991 vintage, original tubes and the Bird 43P indicates
1200 watts plus with an Ip of about 700 ma and Ig of about 120 ma on 160M -
20M. The tubes show very little color except when in a tune condition with
100% steady state carrier at the 1200 watt output level. Then they warm up
nicely. According to recent discussions, this is the opportunity for the
"getter" to de-gas the tubes. >>>

it sounds as if there are differences between our two units. mine uses the chinese 3-500zgs, which i think were used in the later models (mine is about 10 years newer than yours). on 160 i have both my tune and load at 6.9. however i notice that the load cap has very little affect through its arc on 160 (a very broad output peak). maybe it needs more C added to it.

<<<My experience is that there is NO PROBLEM running the amp at the 300 watt carrier output level on AM... >>>

It just occurred to me that you may be running your exciter at a lower modulation level than 100% maximum bob; that would reduce your t.p.o. and help your situation somewhat.
I know that some hams prefer a strong carrier and less modulation.
I am amazed that you are able to get 1.5 kw out of your Centurion. I know of no other Centurion owner who has done this unless they have done some modifications to the power supply. Well, perhaps I have been too easy on mine.

QST ran an article about 50 years ago on how to run an outboard linear amp in AM service:
Technical Topics: Linear Amplifiers for AM. QST Feb. 1956 p. 39-41.

if you are an arrl member you can look at it online by going here:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/am.html

and scrolling down to the link for the pdf version.

73,

rob / k5uj