[TenTec] EFM tuner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] EFM tuner
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:25:26 +0000
The EFM L network tuner looked like a great product. When the ad first appeared in QST, i called them up and talked to them about it. It was beyond my price range, but if i could have afforded it, i might have bought one. From the description in the ad and on the website, they used first class components and materials all the way. I think they wanted around $1100 for it, if i remember correctly. It probably could have matched a 2 ohm load on 160 m. Unfortunately, the market for > $1000 L network tuners seems to be limited; I think that with that, plus the expense of advertizing, competition from the 238 and N4XM's tuner and maybe a general lack of knowledge of the advantages of L networks, they couldn't make it fly. There's also the fact that a lot of us who want top notch tuners, buy the parts at flea markets and build our own. I hate to see a good product flop, but i guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

rob / k5uj