[TenTec] Orion - Inrad 762 vs Orion II - TT 2001

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion - Inrad 762 vs Orion II - TT 2001
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:48:07 -0500
N4PY wrote:

 >The OII uses the exact same IF as the Orion.  But the filters for the Orion
will not physically plug into the Orion II because they are a different
size.  I actually made an adapter to use the 762 filter in my OII.  With
some patience, I was able to do this and it is working fine.

         Correct Carl.  There's been some misinformation
here so I would like to summarize:

1.  Inrad 762 is designed ***ONLY*** to be inserted
into the "1000" slot of Orion.  It will not work correctly
in the "500" slot for several reasons.  If you have one of
these, it should be installed only in Orion's 1000 slot as
stated on page 3 of Inrad's roofing filter paper.

http://www.qth.com/inrad/roofing-filters.pdf

2.  Although it should be electrically identical to the
Inrad 762, Ten-Tec's Orion II 2001 600 Hz uses a different
mechanical pinout as Carl stated above.  Therefore you
should NOT use Inrad #762 in Orion II unless you want to
make a mechanical adapter as Carl suggested.  I will send
W2VJN a note suggesting he clarify that the 762 is NOT
compatible with the Orion II in the above matrix.  I'll also
suggest he add a footnote to the filter matrix to indicate
the 762 should be installed only in Orion's 1000 position.

http://www.qth.com/inrad/tentec_menu.htm

         Actual IMD and BDR measurements of Orion have never
been published using the Inrad 762.  Using Sherwood's
relative measurements (summarized on my webpage), we can
***infer*** that IMD is in the mid to upper 90's at 1 and
2 kHz spacings.  When ARRL publishes their Product Review
of Orion II, it will be very interesting to see the actual
IMD and BDR measurements.  Orion II's IMD and BDR results
using the Ten-Tec 2001 600 Hz filter should be identical
to Orion using the Inrad 762 in Orion's 1000 slot.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV